Gold is one of the most valuable of all the metals. It is not only treasured for the worth of the metal, but it is given as gifts to celebrate many occasions around the world. People also use it in jewelry making, and in their crafts and projects. This means we want to make sure the gold is good quality and stays in good condition. There are a few different ways to test gold as well as ways to care for those gifts you have been given and hold so close to your heart.
There are different options when considering buying gold. You have most likely heard or seen 14K and 18K etched in rings and necklaces. Do you really know what that means? Gold alloys are measured by karats. A karat is a unit that measures 1/24 of pure gold. So, 24 karat (24K) gold is pure gold, while 18 karat gold is 18 parts pure gold and 6 parts other metal.
When you are in the market for a piece of gold jewelry, there is definitely the possibility of purchasing fake gold or gold of a low quality. Palisade Jewelers wants you to know exactly what you’re getting, and that is why we have put together a checklist for you.
1) Don’t be afraid to try this first test; it is effective. Rub the piece of jewelry across a piece of unglazed porcelain tile. If the jewelry leaves a black streak, it is not gold but rather pyrite. You want to see a golden yellow streak. Unglazed porcelain tile can be found at a hardware store, or ask Gold Fever to perform the test in store.
2) Gold can be measured by hardness. Try to scratch a piece of glass with the piece of gold. If it scratches the glass, it is definitely not gold, or is of very low purity. If it does not scratch the glass, you most likely have a piece of jewelry that is good quality.
3) Here is an easy test to try anywhere. Take a magnet and hold it near the piece of gold. If the magnet attracts the piece, then there are other metals mixed in the gold and it not pure gold.
Caring for your Gold
Whether it was a gift from your mom, husband or yourself, your jewelry is important to you. It is equally important to care for your gold. Here are some tips to keep your gold looking beautiful:
1) Take off your gold. Don’t wear your jewelry all the time. Take it off when you feel comfortable, and this will automatically extend the life and look of your gold as wearing it constantly will cause it to break down sooner.
2) When you take off your gold, store it in a jewelry box and keep your pieces separate. Don’t pile all of your pieces into one compartment of your jewelry box. This way they won’t become scratched or tangled.
3) Make sure the jewelry is dry when you put it away since moisture can cause clasps to weaken over time.
4) Wash your gold with soapy water and a soft toothbrush. Use warm water to clean and a lint free cloth to dry your jewelry. You can also use a nonabrasive jewelry cleaner, but check before using a cleaner on jewelry with a gem stone.
Selecting and caring for your gold is an important process. These tips should help you choose and maintain find pieces of jewelry. If something should happen to a piece of your jewelry, Palisade Jewelers in New Jersey can repair it for you.
Whether you’re from New Jersey, New York, or even Orange County, NY, for more great tips on jewelery, gold, and more be sure to follow us on Facebook!